A results framework, sometimes also known as a results chain, is a visual representation of the flow of changes that you intend to deliver through your program in order to achieve your overall program goal. It is usually displayed in a box-and-arrow tree diagram with different levels, each level representing a distinct change or result achieved through your program intervention.
The results specified typically comprise of intermediate ‘outcomes’ and ‘outputs’ that lead to long-term objectives, often referred to as ‘impacts’.
Some of the benefits of using a results framework:
- It helps to focus on specific outcomes;
- It highlights the key linkages in the theory of change that underpin the intervention;
- It helps establish an evidence-based approach to monitoring and evaluation;
- It helps measure progress toward strategic objectives;
- It helps achieve strategic objectives.