KoBo Toolbox Overview
KoBoToolbox (https://www.kobotoolbox.org/) is a free mobile data collection tool that was specifically designed for NGOs.
The tool originated at Harvard University’s Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), and is now a joint initiative between HHI, UN OCHA, and the International Rescue Committee (IRC).
An introduction to the tool can be found here.
- Form Builder with more than 20 different types of questions available, ability to add skip logic and validation, question library that allows users to reuse existing questions.
- Option to import and export XLSforms, CSV files, Media attachments, KPL (for GPS points), Excel Analyser and SPSS labels.
- Online and offline data collection.
- Data can be entered through the KoboToolbox web-interface or synced from a mobile app (KoBoCollect) that is available for Android devices (but not iPhones).
- Some basic data analysis and visualization features.
- User access control which prevents users from accessing forms and data unless they are granted permission.
- KoBoToolbox is an open-source ODK-based mobile data collection tool. The open-source license is copyleft.
- Can be hosted free-of-charge by an organization on its own servers or you can create a free account on one of two publicly available instances of KoBoToolbox.
- KoboToolbox’s publicly available servers are located in the EU and US, depending on which service you sign up for.
- It is possible to integrate HXL hashtags into KoBo forms.
- KoBoToolbox integrates with the form deployment tool Enketo, which is also open-source and ODK-based.
Using KoBoToolbox with TolaData
Integration with TolaData
- Import collected data from KoBoToolbox directly into TolaData’s Data Tables via API
- API tokens are stored separately for each user, rather than for each project, so that TolaData can connect to several different KoBo-Toolbox accounts for the same organisation unit at the same time.
- Firstly, navigate to the data tables section and select ‘import table’. A range of options will appear in the drop-down menu, select ‘Kobo Toolbox’.
- After selecting Kobo Toolbox from the drop-down menu, the pop up shown below will prompt you to log in to your Kobo account. Once you have done so select the succeeding link.
- This link will bring you to a new tab which will contain your KoBo token.
- Copy and paste this code into the token box.
- Next, the platform will ask you to select the table you would like to use from KoBo.
- Once you have selected your desired table TolaData will import the data table, allowing you to easily add this data to your indicators.
- Check out this article for more information on importing data from third-party data collection tools: https://www.toladata.com/blog/data-collection-tools-in-development-and-humanitarian-sector/